The Senior System administrator is responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, servers and our network. They install hardware and software, and participate in research and development to continuously improve and keep up with the IT business needs of their organization. He or she ensures that our technology infrastructure runs smoothly and efficiently and identifies areas where workflows can be enhanced or streamlines to meet and exceed company goals.
This role combines an understanding of both technical engineering and enhanced communications with staff/management. The position requires working with various departments to manage and develop systems at all company locations and remote offices. From creating and implementing systems software to analyzing data to improve existing ones, a Senior Systems Administrator increases productivity in the workplace, works to balance various aspects of a project; most of them complex issues such as architecture and system dynamics, availability and growth.
• Planning, communicating and accounting of future needs, potential challenges and imminent outages or fixes that need to be organized and presented to management.
• Demonstrate senior technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the higher levels of availability, performance, availability and security.
• Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks.
• Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers, IT and general staff to implement those fixes.
• Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure. Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools.
• Maintain security, backup, and off-site redundancy strategies.
• Participate in the design of information and operational support systems and their ability to function as intended on demand or through testing.
• Liaise with vendors, other IT personnel and manager for problem resolutions.
• Solid cloud experience, virtualization, networking knowledge and experience with automation and scripting disciplines that directly contribute to overall stability of company workflows.
• Demonstrate efforts in micro-managing IT projects, including monitoring deployments and reporting on their effectiveness in execution; reporting back to IT manager on any challenges to keep on track with goals and budget expenditures outside of the original scope of work.
• Hightened awareness of task prioritization by developing a better sense of what each branch of the company, staff or individuals needs require research and development before acting on them.
• Communicate with IT manager on each R&D phase to better coordinate communications before executing a fix/upgrade or enhancement that might have an impact on future company efforts/goals, worksflows or unexpected expenditures outside of budget projections for the year.
• Install and upgrade computer components and software, manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes.
• Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization both on prem and in the cloud.
• Perform or delegate regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures.
• Monitor performance and maintain systems according to requirements
• Troubleshoot hardware and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing impact of issues.
• Provide documentation and technical specifications to IT and general staff for planning and implementing new or upgrades of IT infrastructure.
• Implement system upgrades with new releases and hardware solutions.
• Lead helpdesk support efforts, when escalated to their level of participation by making sure all desktop applications, workstations, and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruptions.
• Responsible for capacity, storage planning, and database performance.
• Demonstrate compatncy in cloud computing and basic network engineering.
• Working with 3rd party to help troubleshoot issues.
• Proven experience as a System Administrator, Network Administrator or similar role
• Experience with databases, networks (LAN, WAN) and patch management
• Knowledge of system security (e.g. intrusion detection systems) and data backup/recovery
• Ability to create scripts in programing languages used in Windows Server environments
• Familiarity with various operating systems and platforms (Both Mac and PC)
• Resourcefulness and problem-solving aptitude
• Windows, and Linux-based servers, Apache, MySQL, IMAP and POP3 servers, Microsoft Exchange, MS Office 365 and Exchange Cloud Services, MS Azure, Jumpcloud, MS Active Directory, NAS, SAN, iSCSI, vSphere, Router, Switch setup and security, TrendMicro Anti-Virus, Veeam Backup, Radius server
• DNS/DHCP configuration as well as cloud based web hosting for Windows and Linux environments. This includes tracking, purchase and deployment of SSL certificates for client needs.
• Okta, Wasabi S3, Egnyte, GitHub Backup, 8x8 telephone, Telesystems PRI/POTS lines.
Harrdware: Meraki switches, Cisco Unity Call Manager, Aruba WIFI, FortiClient VPN, Dell/EMC Servers.
• Meraki switches, Cisco Unity Call Manager, Aruba WIFI, FortiClient VPN, Dell/EMC Servers
Communication and Education
• CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, Excellent communication skills
• BS/BA in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related discipline; professional certification (e.g. Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) is a plus